Materials, Guides and Policies for Individual Members and Clubs
Resources For Individuals
- You can join, upgrade and renew online here.
- Membership Form – For postal membership applicatios
- Membership Fees – Information about types of membership, costs and how to join.
See also the Grading Questions sub-section on each arts homepage (left hand menu) and the Grading section (for information on criteria for entering, costs, etc).
- Kendo Grading Requirements – a guide to the skills, techniques and standards expected at each grade level
- Referee Experience Requirements – for Kendo San Dan & above
- Jodo Grading Shitei Waza – Summer 2009
- - How to apply for permission to grade with an overseas organisation
- Iaido and Jodo Grading Policy.
All BKA Management minutes and papers can be found here
- Nomination Form – for National and Bu Executive positions
- National Committee Minutes
- Travel & Subsistence – Expenses Policy Revised Aug 2014
- Expenses Claim Form – under revision
Kendo Competition (Taikai) Rules and Regulations
- British Open Taikai – Five competitions, for individuals (seperate catagories for men, women & children)
- National Kendo No Kata Taikai – Kata pairs competition
- Kashi No Ki Kenyu Kai – Kihon Keiko Ho Taikai for junior members aged 9 to 17 years
- Sir Frank Bowden Memorial Taikai – Teams of 5 players (may be male/female) aged 18+
- The Premierâ€™s Cup Taikai – British nationals, individuals age 18+, mixed male/female matches
- Kagamishin Junior Open Taikai – Junior Open Taikai for British nationals of 13 to 17 years of age only.
- Kyu Grade Taikai – for Kyu grades that are in Bogu aged 18+, mixed male/female matches (formerly known as the Lidstone Taikai)
Kendo Guides and Manuals
- Kendo Beginner’s Guide - a new and practical introduction for kendoka of all levels, by Terry Holt sensei (2nd edition updated July 2014)
- Referee Book – A guide to the role of kendo referee (Shinpan) by Terry Holt Sensei.Â (Second edition revised and updated January 2010).
- Kendo Equipment Manual – A guide to the using and maintaining kendo equipment, clothing and armour.Â Available in English, French and German (see links at the bottom right of the page for self-extracting zip file).
- The Kendo Reader – A highly regarded work on kendo practice by Noma Hisashi, written in the 1930′s, but still relevant and fascinating today.
Iai & Jodo Taikai
- Iaido and Jodo Taikai Management Guide – A Guide for the Management of Iaido and Jodo Taikai
- Jodo 3-Man Team Taikai Guidance
- Dress for Iai Taikai
- Main BKA Newsletter – Known as ‘News Online’ despite being the printed version!
- Jodo Newsletter – Update produced by the Jodo Bu
- Hagakure – Hagakure (meaning In the shadow the Leaves or Hidden Leaves), is a practical and spiritual guide for a warrior, drawn from a collection of commentaries by the samurai, Yamamoto Tsunetomo.
- The Unfettered Mind – The Unfettered Mnd is a three-part treatise on Buddhist philosophy and martial arts written by Takuan Soho, a Japanese monk of the Rinzai sect. The title translates roughly to The Mysterious Records of Immovable Wisdom.
Resources For Clubs and Dojo Leaders
Coach Training Programme
- Coaching Development Overview
- Coaching Development Programme – Guide in Word format
- Coaching/Teaching Guidelines – Advice on how to coach effectively
- Coaching Children – Best practice advice for teaching younger budoka
Health & Safety
- Safety Policy Statement – Document describing the BKA’s approach to Health and Safety
- Health & Safety Information – Document providing guidance to BKA clubs on Health and Safety
- Health and Safety Compliance Form – For completion by BKA member clubs
- – BKA Insurance policy and related documents
- Use of Swords in Training – Advice on the use of Iaito and Shinken from the Iai Bucho (April 09)
- Significant Medical Issues Policy- Advice on handling students with medical issues.Â Resource pack includes the following:
- Anti Doping Resources
- Data Protection
- Grievance Policy – See Constitution
- Child Protection Policy – Explanatory Note
- CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) Checks – BKA policy and proceedures
- CRB Dojo Exemption Form – for clubs that do not teach children or vulnerable adults
- CRB Coach Exemption Form – for coach in the clubs above
- Ex-Offender Policy – Policy statement on recruiting ex-offenders
- Equal Opportunity Policy
- BKA ‘Fan’ Logo – for use by clubs on official and promotional material, websites etc. (Right click to save on your own PC)
- Promoting Sport Toolkit – a range of resources from Sport England (off-line @ June 09?)
- How to Work with the Media – a useful guide from Sport England
- How to Write a Press Release – ditto
- Kendo Promotional Flyer (A4) – Need a leaflet to hand out at kendo demonstrations or a poster to stick in the dojo changing room?Artwork for a new leaflet, designed by professional graphic designer Katsuya Masagaki of Wakaba dojo, is available here. The leaflet has space at the bottom which dojos can stamp or print with local contact details. PDFs of the artwork are available in A4 and A5 size.