BRITISH KENDO ASSOCIATION
IAIDO GRADING QUESTIONS – NORTHERN SEMINAR 2014
Please answer the following questions as required for your grade. You may use illustrations to emphasise your point. Please however try to restrict your response to no more than four sides of A4. To be returned by email to Dave Fanning at: firstname.lastname@example.org arriving no later than Sunday 9th November.
Please put your name, grade you are attempting and seminar in the subject heading of your email to help me file answers as they arrive.
Shodan and Nidan
These questions should be answerable from the Seitei Iaido Manual or from asking one’s Sempai/Sensei.
1) Draw a plan illustrating a traditional Japanese dojo, naming the important areas/sides.
2) How is the direction of a cut (hasuji) established when drawing the sword?
3) What is meant by “hiki nuki”?
4) What is meant by “shu ha ri”, with particular relevance to studying iaido?
5) What is the minimum recommended distance between yourself and your nearest neighbour when training?
Sandan and Yondan
These questions should be answerable from research from the Seitei Iaido Manual, one’s own sensei and
other external sources such as books, the internet, other senior teachers.
1) Using diagrams, illustrate the various foot positions occurring in Seiteigata 8, Ganmen Ate.
2) Explain what is meant by Ma and Maai.
3) Explain the meaning of the following terms when used in an iaido competition: aka; shiai jo; shiro; shobu ari.
4) What are the four grading points for Seiteigata 9, Soete Tsuki?
5) Explain the difference between saya biki and saya banare.
Posted: November 9th, 2014 under Iaido.